Wednesday 19 June 2013

Guava, the Botanical Gardens, Wild Monkeys and Rocinha Surf School


Breakfast today was this:


This is guava – it is amazing.
Around 10am I decided I would quite like to see the rainforest, which is ironic considering the forest creeps down into the foothills upon which Rocinha is built, but shhhh! So after trying, and failing, to get the bus to the Tijuca Forest, I took a walk along the beach in Sao Conrado instead; – the surf was up to two metres high today, as the wind was absolutely crazy. (I also really need to figure the buses out at some point... And, yes mother, I do have a timetable for all the good it’s done me!)

 
Giving up on the wild forests, I decided to try tamed ones instead – and so it was off to the botanical gardens, the back of which does border the Atlantic cloud forest (jungle for the uninitiated). The gardens- especially the forest walk - was amazing, and definitely worth the six reais (£2)!
 





 
You can just see the statue of Christ the Redeemer from the park: 
 
 
The best part of today had to be this though (however the carnivorous plants are a close second!), look, wild monkeys!!!
 
There was even one in the picnic area!


Aren’t they sweet!?
After I’d finished up at the gardens I actually managed to get on a bus going back in the right direction, (though that may have had something to do with the help provided by my new friend the policeman, Manolo - who was incredibly nice after I got past the fact he had a Russian issue Kalashnovik (AK47 assault rifle) strapped to his chest... )

After I returned to Rocinha I just had time to head up the hill on a mototaxi – with bags of shopping balanced, so no holding on (eeek!) - before I had to hike back down the mountain to go to the surf school, where I taught my first English class with the other volunteers. It’s so laid back and there’s a fantastic atmosphere – halfway through everyone stopped so a few of the guys could play guitar, have a bit of a sing-song, reminisce about life etc.
 
 
Crossing back over Via Apia after class:
 
 
Tomorrow I’m going to try for Tijuca again... Wish me luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment