Sunday 16 June 2013

Buses, Sex Motels, Motorbike Taxis and Acai Juice

So the first night in Rio was definitely eventful to say the least - I landed at 9pm local time, and proceeded through customs the fastest of any country I've ever visited. Then came the bus issue. I asked a information desk man where I could get the bus to the other Airport, Santos Durmont, as Galeao International airport is far out of the city of Rio, whilst Durmont is in the center a few blocks from where I stayed. Not a problem the man says, I help you myself! And so he walks with me down to the buses and helps me load my cases - onto the wrong bus. I ended up in Barra de Tijuca. Not entirely his fault, as there are two buses for Barra - and one does stop at Durmont on the way - the bus I ended up taking in the opposite direction back to Durmont.

Landing in Rio:


Then came the hotel, after taking a taxi from Santos Durmont to my hotel, and straight through the red light district which, in retrospect,  perhaps should have been a hint, I realised that Motel in Brazil - far from Premier Travel Inn etc.connotations in the UK - is a place where people go to have sex. Saying that, it was clean and the staff were friendly.

 The next day I took a taxi out to Rocinha to meet this man; Elliot, who runs a business helping volunteers and visitors find accommodation in Favelas in Rio. We explored Rocinha and Vidigal, and he showed me a variety of guest houses and spare bedroom rentals, though for now I am staying at the Rocinha Guest house - ready for the view?



Pretty cool, huh? The way we got up there is even better than the view itself - balanced on the back of what are called 'mototaxis' - motorbikes with handles at the side of the saddle for you to cling on to whilst the riders race each other up the spiral hill at 60/70 miles an hour dodging oncoming traffic. Elliot says he doesn't like them - but to be honest I think they're pretty awesome!

 

Later that day we went down to the sports center at the bottom of the mountain - it's quite a long walk down winding alleys and steep staircases, and I know I am going to get lost at some point. Halfway down we stopped at a juice stand, where I was introduced to Acai - pronounced A-sigh-ee - made by blending the berries with banana and crushed ice, mmmm. I think I found a new favourite food! At the sports center there was a skateboard party for the younger kids who live in the favela - and helping run it was a man called Bogao - who runs the Rio de Janeiro surf school. I will now be volunteering there for two hours a day teaching English, and on Tuesday through Friday, I get to go out with the other kids at the surf school surfing for two hours. Which is a pretty good exchange in my opinion!

 Today I don't know what I'll do yet, as it's Sunday and I don't begin my volunteering assignment until tomorrow - I was thinking perhaps touristy stuff like Christ the Redeemer.

No comments:

Post a Comment